Sunday, March 05, 2006

My Daughter's Spindle


"Ciaran's Andalusian"

My daughter came to me yesterday and asked me to make her a spindle. She brought a picture along with her of an Andalusian horse and said that was what she wanted on her spindle. Well, I figured to was about time that she quit spinning with plain spindles and that she have a hand painted spindle of her own. She is going to be helping demostrate spindling at an upcoming Alpaca Festival, so it would be pretty embarassing if she didn't have a nice spindle.

So today was a snowy Sunday and Ciaran had went off to the barn and I decided to take some time and work on her spindle. The picture posted above is the finished whorl. I am really happy with how it turned out and I hope she is too. Since it's a 3" whorl, we are going to experiment with shaft size to see what works for balance. That way, I already know before I start making them for other folks.

I also want to thank Janel for the absolutely wonderful article in Spindlicity (see: www.spindlicity.com) Her webzine is top notch and I absolutely love all of the articles, especially the "Tea Panties". Don't ask.... you have to go look for yourself! They are totally cute though!

Peace & Joy,
Jen

5 comments:

  1. Oh, that is just magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your spindles are beautiful! Our daughter has always loved horses, too.

    I love the bluebird spindle!

    Have a wonderful week.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Work! now to accedentally on purpose send a link to the hubby... my birthday is coming... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's the attitude mintdee! LOL!!

    thank you for all of your kind comments. They mean so much to me!

    ReplyDelete