Monday, February 27, 2006

This and That...


"The Universe in a Ladybug"
(Click photo to enlarge)


"The Empress"
(Click photo to enlarge)




I just finished "The Empress" spindle whorl shown above for a customer who also ordered "The Universe in a Ladybug". "The Empress "has to be one of the most detailed spindles I've done and the other is not far behind in complexity. My eyes are about to fall out, but they were really gratifying projects to work on. I am so happy with the end results that I just had to share them immediately! On a side note: The painting of "The Empress" is only 1.5" x 2" in size.

Today I also purchased the domain name "crowhillhouse.com", so I will be in the process of building a "real" website very soon. I am looking at actually stocking some spindles (they will still be one-of-a-kind) and having a shopping cart available for purchase of those spindles. Same thing with knitting needles.

One thing that the new website will allow me to do is post a gallery where you can look at all of the spindles without having to dig back throuugh archives of blogs. I am looking forward to that!

For now, I am still taking custom orders and am making a dent in my list at least. When I do the really detailed spindles like the one shown in this entry, I can only do that one spindle in a day. It's just too taxing physically and mentally to do more. Custom work always takes time and I want to thank all of you who are waiting patiently... or not so patiently for spindles.

Time to take a break now and do something totally unrelated to work for awhile.

Peace & Joy,

Jen

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, that's *lovely*! I never thought about having any of the Tarot painted on a spindle, but that looked absolutely fabulous. I keep a list of things I might like to commission you on, *someday* in my head, but the list keeps growing as I see what other folks come up with. Excellent work, amazing detail, and a big fat WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen

    I really love this one.....I am sure who ever is getting it will really treasure it.

    Helaine

    Check out my blog I made some needles for when I knit a multidrectional scarf thats on my long list of knitty things to do.http://misshelaineous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen , beautiful beautiful work!! Good for you. I am going to put you on my bloglines list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi All,

    Thank you so much for your kind words and thank you Lisa for putting me on your list. Keep that list going Moirae and send it on to me someday to fill. :-) Thank you all for your continued support and for just checking out this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:21 PM

    Wow! Jen, that spindle whorl is wonderful. I can't even imagine how long it took you. You are creating a piece of art that is really useful.

    bj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:25 AM

    WOW Bob had to come and show me your new work today. I also should tell you I work with Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks again for the nice comments. And yes, these do take a lot of time! :-) I keep getting nagged to raise my prices, but I really want to keep spindles affordable so that anyone can purchase one and have their own vision on their spindle.

    ReplyDelete