Thursday, November 03, 2005

Not a Good Fall....

Hello to all of my friends out there.

I'm afraid I have suffered another fall "disaster" of sorts. While out riding my horse yesterday, one of the stable hands rustled through some bushes. My horse spooked and I managed to stay on and was recovering from that spook when the man actually stepped out and spooked my horse again. I was unable to recover the second time since I was already off balance.

I was thrown from my horse and landed with all of my weight on my lower back/pelvis (sacrum). Luckily, my daughter was with me and had a cell phone. We called up to the barn and a trainer came out in her truck to the place where we were in the field. She called 911 and we had an ambulance there in about 10 minutes. Good thing we were not out in the woods!

Anyway, after being strapped to a backboard and transported to the University of Wisconsin ER, going through numerous x-rays and waiting around I found that I have a fractured sacrum (back section of my pelvis). I was truly lucky that I have good bone density or I may well have had a shattered pelvis considering how hard the gound was and how I hit. So even though I am in constant pain, I am counting my blessings. I was also wearing a riding helmet, so my head was safe from injury! YAY!!

Needless to say, this is going to slow me down. I am looking at 2-3 weeks of being very immobile and in a lot of pain that really cannot be treated with anything other than ice and painkillers. I'll be spending a lot of time laying down, but I do hope to work something out where I can do at least one spindle per day starting early next week.

Full recovery will take about 2 months and will probably involve some rehab. I will not be riding again until after the first of the year.

The ironic thing is that right after the ambulance was called out to our stable for me, they received another call out there for a woman who fell off her horse while jumping. She landed flat on her back in the arena sand. Her helmet split open in the back (Thank God she had a helmet on!) and she likely had at least a concussion judging from what I have heard. She also ended up in the same ER I am told! They must think riding is horribly dangerous from what they saw yesterday!

Since I have been at this stable, I have not known of anyone being taken to the hospital or of any ambulance calls being made. Then we have two in one day! It simply must have been a bad day for riding.

Anyway, I ask all ofyou to be patient...once again. Seems this fall has been fraught with occurences that are laying me up. I will keep in contact and try to fill your orders as soon as I can. I do have some finished, but I have to have help getting them out the door and shipped. That's my goal for this weekend.

Thank you all for your support! This will be, as the ER doc put it, "A long, painful road", but I know I will heal in time and be back on my feet.

Peace & Joy to All,

Jen

2 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better soon (or at least figure something out so you don't go nuts waiting to heal).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melanie! And "going nuts" IS an issue. Today the orthopedist said it would be at least 3 more weeks with no weight on my left leg and then only limited wieght after that for about a month. Full healing will be 4-6 months. I also found out that there are two fractures. Luckily, no surgery required as they are stable. Whew!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete