Monday, May 22, 2006

Spindles for Sale in eBay Store for a Charitable Cause - New Color Available


Celestial Blue Prayer Wheel
Mantra of Universal Compassion in Tibetan Script
"Om Mani Padme Hum"


Something new! I am selling spindles through my eBay store to benefit a project that I think is very worthwhile. All of these spindles are selling at a fixed price and all proceeds will go to the Deer Park Temple Project. You can read more about this project at: http://www.deerparkcenter.org/NewFiles/newtemple.html

Just as an overview, Deer Park is a local Tibetan Buddhist Center and monastery near Madison, WI. The head of Deer Park, Venerable Geshe Sopa, was an examiner for the Dalai Lama and he fled Tibet in the early 1960's. He later became a professor at the University of Wisconsin and retired after 30 years of teaching. From his earnings as a professor and with the help of others, he purchased land and started building a center for the local Tibetan community, the local community of monks and nuns and Westerner students who wanted to learn more about Tibetan Buddhism. He continues to teach at Deer Park and is in residence there along with three other monks and two nuns. Deer Park is also significant in that H.H. the Dalai Lama has visted numerous times and will again visit in the spring of 2007 to consecrate the new temple. The current temple, which is very small, was built as a pavillion to house the first ever Kalachakra ceremony performed outside of Tibet or India by the Dalai Lama. The site will likely be put on the historic registry and is a pilgrimage site for many Buddhists from around the world.

Aside from all of the above, Madison has a large Tibetan refugee community that is served by Deer Park and this new temple will be of direct benefit to this community. At present, there is not enough space where all of this growing community can gather to worship or socialize. I have come to know many of the Tibetans who fled their homeland and they never cease to move me by their joy in the face of such horrible tragedies and hardships they have suffered. They are such a kind, loving people and I am trying to do what little I can to help build a new temple for them and for the larger community.

It doesn't matter what your beliefs are when you look into the face of those who have suffered and been persecuted for their beliefs and many times simply for their ethnicity.

As the Dalai Lama puts it, "My religion is Kindness".

Peace & Joy,
Jen

To get to my eBay store, simply click on "Auctions" to your right. Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. I would love to buy one. You don't happen to have spindles more like 1oz do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous spindle! I'm hoping that you put up another purple spindle with the prayer wheel in it because I'd love to have it..as well as to help such a worthy cause. Cheers to you for donating your work to help others!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lightest spindle is about 1.2oz or so. I can make one for you if you'd like. Just contact me. Also, if you want a purple prayer wheel spindle, just write and you can purchase it directly. :-)

    Kind Regards,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's lovely! I like the purple prayer wheel too. Blessings to you for doing this for the center! I was just in Madison yesterday - now I wish I would have stopped by there. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete